Contoh Soal : BAHASA INGGRIS
Khusus untuk SMA – Kls.X
Contoh 10 :
April 29, 2005
Ever since I became Editor-in-Chief of the Asian Reader’s Digest six months ago, I’ve been dying to share some exciting news with you. After being based in Australia for almost a decade, our editorial office has moved to Singapore, bringing it back to Asia in these exciting and important times.
Over the coming months you’ll see the difference our move makes in a hundred little ways. We’ll still deliver the window on the world you’ve come to expect, but being in the heart of Asia will allow us to make our local content more … well … local. The magazine will continue to be an engaging mix of inspirational and informative stories, but the local stories will be more chicken rice than spaghetti and meatballs.
Starting with this month’s poll on the things that irritate us – we traveled all the way to Shanghai to get a truly pan-Asia view point – we plan to put more Asian voices into the magazine in 2007. My personal new year’s resolution is to meet as many of you, our readers, as possible this year to hear what type of magazine you’d like to see each month.
Reader’s Digest is all about the basic things that make us human – our thirst of knowledge, our emotions, our desire to make a better life for ourselves and our loved ones. I am excited about being able to bring all these things and more home to you each month; to help you rediscover the joys of life in Asia.
Editor in Chief
(Source: Reader’s Digest, January 2006 Edition)
Answer with suitable verb!
1. Who is the sender of this letter?
2. Who is the letter dedicated to?
3. When did he officially become editor-in-chief?
a. six months ago
b. seven month ago
c. eight months ago
d. nine month ago
e. ten months ago
4. Where is the editorial office located?
5. What is Reader’s Digest all about?
a. important things
b. cruel things
c. basic things
d. tyranny things
6. What is the type of the text?
e. News item
7. Diery and Fikri _____ shopping yesterday. They _____ shopping last Monday.
a. didn’t go – went
b. go – go
c. went – go
d. didn’t – go
e. don’t – went
8. It _____ rain right now. The rain _____ a few minutes ago.
a. wasn’t – stopped
b. isn’t – stopped
c. isn’t – stopped
d. didn’t – stopped
e. isn’t – stop
9. We _____ late for the movie last night. The movie _____ at 7, but we _____
a. was – started – will not didn’t arrive
b. were – started – didn’t arrive
c. are – started – will not
d. weren’t – started –
e. were – starts – didn’t arrive
10. Tom _____ not in his office yesterday. He _____ not go to work.
a. did – was
b. is – do
c. do – was
d. does – was
e. was – did
Boulder : (11) you at the meeting yesterday?
Brian : What meeting?
Boulder : (12) you forget about the meeting?
Brian : I guess so what meeting.
Boulder : The meeting with the president of the company.
Brian : Oh, now I remember. No, I (13) there, (14) you?
11. a. did
12. a. were
13. a. wasn’t
e. am not
14. a. did
Gaby : Where __(15)__ you yesterday?
Pita : I (16) at the zoo.
Gaby : (17) you enjoy it?
Pita : Yes, but the weather (18) very hot. I tried to stay out of the sun. Most of the animals (19) in their houses or in the shade. The sun (20) too hot for them, too. They (21) not want to be outside in the hot sun.
15. a. did b. are c. do d. were e. was
16. a. did b. are c. do d. were e. was
17. a. did b. are c. do d. were e. was
18. a. did b. are c. do d. were e. was
19. a. did b. were c. are d. do e. was
20. a. did b. were c. was d. do e. are
21. a. did b. were c. was d. do e. are
Diary of a student name Tyra
June 3rd, 2006
Today is my first day as a college student at UNCLA. I feel really excited, it seems like just yesterday I started my high school, but now is my time to begin my new life in college. I really hope that everything will be okay today, because I don’t expect something bad will happen and ruin my day. Oh, I really hope NOT…
June 4th, 2006
Yesterday wasn’t a good start for me. Something came up and ruined my entire mood for that day. I wasn’t pleased with my new beginning of college’s life. Honestly, I doubted whether I could survive in dealing with people in this college. But, HEY, I have to survive, right? Although the are cruel and ignorant, but I can do this!
P.S: I really miss my hometown buddies… wish they were here…
June 7th, 2006
Sorry I skipped telling stories these few days. It’s because I have a bunch of assignments to do. Well, I guess the old saying is right; college is fun and also tiring. Yeah right… now I know why they said so. But, the good news is… I have made some friends. Thank goodness they’re nice and friendly.
22. Where is Tyra studying at?
23. When did Tyra started her first day as a college student?
a. June 3rd, 2006
b. June 1st, 2006
c. July 3rd, 2006
d. July 1st, 2006
e. June 4th, 2006
24. How did Tyra feel about her first day at college?
25. What was Tyra hoping at her first day in college?
a. something terrible
b. something unpleasant
c. something ruin
d. something pathetic
e. something nice
26. According to Tyra’s opinion on June 4th, what kind of people that she’s dealing with in the college?
a. ignorant and cruel charismatic
b. ignorant and cute
c. ignorant and calm
d. ignorant and
e. ignorant and charming
27. When did Tyra miss her hometown best friends?
a. June 4th, 2007
b. June 5th, 2007
c. June 5th, 2006
d. June 4th, 2006
e. June 7th, 2006
28. How did Tyra feel about her college life lately?
a. cute and friendly
b. charming and friendly
c. charismatic and friendly
d. nice and cruel
e. nice and friendly
29. What’s the good news that Tyra shared to her diary on June 7th?
a. She had made some friends
b. She have made some friends
c. She have made some friends
d. She has made some
e. She is has made friends
30. What is the type of the text?
e. news item
The Legend of Minos, King of Crete
Once upon a time there lived a very famous king, named the King of Crete. He had a monster, which was half bull and half man.
He ordered Daedalus, a craftsman from Athens, to build a labyrinth in order to house the monster. When Daedalus finished his work, he wanted to leave Crete. But the king would not let him go.
Daedalus escape through the air by using wings fixed to his body with wax. He also made wings for his son, Icarus and made him fly behind himself.
But the son was so glad and excited that he soon went too high. As he flew nearer to the sun, it got warmer and warmer until at last the wax melted and his body fell down into the sea near Troy.
The sea is now called the Icarian Sea.
31. Who was Deadalus?
a. a monster from Athen
b. a king from Athen
c. a craftsman from Athen
d. The King of Crete
e. a man from Athen
32. What happened to him?
a. He was ordered to build a labyrinth
b. He was ordered to build a house
c. He was order to build a labyrinth
d. He was order to build a house
e. He was orders to build a labyrinth
33. How did Deadalus escape from the king?
a. by car
b. by plane
c. by water
e. by air
34. Who was Icarus?
a. His daughter
b. His son
c. His step son
d. His mother
e. His father
35. What is the type of the text?
e. news item
Answer the question with suitable pronoun!
They own these books. These books belongs to (36) . These are (37) books.
These books are (38) .
36. a. Theirs b. Thems c. Them d. Their e. They
37. a. Theirs b. Thems c. Them d. Their e. They
38. a. Theirs b. Thems c. Them d. Their e. They
Everything is going fine. I like (39) new apartment very much. Its large and comfortable. I like my roommate, too. (40) name is Emil. You will meet (41) when you visit (42) next month. He is from Colombia. He is studying English, too. (43) classmates. (44) classmates last semester, too. We share the rent and the utility bills, but (45) don’t share the telephone bill.
39. a. me b. mine c. I d. My e. My self
40. a. He b. His c. him d. He is e. His
41. a. Them b. Her c. Him d. Me e. Us
42. a. Me b. Mine c. I d. My e. My self
43. a. we were b. we are c. They were d. They are e. We
44. a. we were b. we are c. They were d. They are e. They
45. a. Our b. us c. we d. ours e. ourselves
46. Diery : Hello, I’m Diery. I’m a new here.
Anggi : _____, Diery. I’m Anggi.
a. Pleased to see you
b. How are you
c. Thank you
d. I’m fine
e. How do you do
47. It was a boring weekend. I _____ anything.
a. weren’t doing
b. don’t do
c. didn’t do
d. doesn’t do
e. wasn’t do
48. Ryan looks helthier _____ surgery.
49. Please stay with me _____
I fall asleep.
50. Check your assignment again!
_____ you give it to me.
Sumber : http://www.duniaedukasi.net/